Sunday, October 15, 2017


I have been off for almost two weeks to the east coast on a Revolutionary and Civil War tour.  Along the way I found some quilts, of course.  
The baby quilt was photographed in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.  A reproduction of the original.  I spied several pretty close reproductions of fabrics I have had in my stash too.  

In a shop in Charlottesville, Virginia we saw several really nice quilts on display. 

Plus many really nice quilts for sale.  Next we will be off to Amish country.  With some additional pictures of quilts we saw there.  

Friday, October 6, 2017


I will be taking a break for the next two weeks.  Hubby and I are doing some traveling to Washington DC, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.  Hopefully being able to take in some Amish quilt shops along with other historical sites.  We expect to be back by the 14th of this month. 
These guys aren't very happy about this.  As you can see there seems to be some shock and concern on their part.  However, their favorite dog and house sitters are coming to stay with them and spoil them rotten, and bring with them their favorite doggie pal to play with.  I am sure I will be able to share some great photos when we return and maybe even a few Amish quilt photos or goodies.  

Tuesday, October 3, 2017


I took a class on Saturday the 30th of September for a table runner called Spicy Spiral, put out by School House Quilts.  It was a lot of fun, particularly as this is a very interesting pattern and different from the average table runner.  
Yes it looks pretty complicated, however, it really wasn't.  There is some good accurate and organized cutting and stacking of pieces one has to do, but after that it goes together really easily.  
I still have to round off the sides and either pillow case it or bind it, which I have not decided on as of yet.  The pattern calls for pillow casing it, but I also think a nice bias binding would work well too.  I plan to quilt it down each color way with a serpentine quilting stitch.  The finished size is 42 by 25, and will look fabulous on my dining room table.  

Friday, September 29, 2017


Over the last month we have been doing some remodeling and re-decoration of our master bedroom and bathroom.  This week we finally finished the painting and ordered new flooring to replace very old carpet.  One of the items we purchased was a new bed quilt.  No I didn't make one!  King size just seemed too be to much to handle right now.
So here is a picture of my bed quilt.  I took it into my sewing studio and just started pulling fabrics trying to mimic the color combinations.  I needed three mug rugs for our bedside tables and sitting room table, although I make them 12 by 12 inches a bit larger than a mug rug, and a dresser scarf 18 by 54 inches.
So here is the first mug rug ready to quilt.  I cut the squares 3.5 inches to finish out my 12 by 12 inch piece.  I thought I did pretty well with the color matches without going out and buying any new fabrics.  
And here I have meandered my quilting stitches.  I have finished this one and two more as of now including binding them in the gold fabric with the little red flowers.  The dresser scarf blocks I cut 6.5 inches and the top is finished and ready to spray baste and quilt over the weekend.  This project is pretty close to a finish.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017


I finally have my Star Blazer top done.  The paper piecing was my first attempt and came out really well.  The second side was much more of a challenge.  The pattern I had did not give directions for making it.  I was on my own.  
I did run into a small problem.  My point on the bottom did not allow for the seam.  I had to adjust the straight seam on the right.  Next the star was a little too short for the paper pieced side, so I had to add a small piece on the top and the bottom. 
At last it was sewn together.  Just to trim the left side, cut a back for it and batting.  Next on to quilting it.  It is my Modern Quilt small group project.  The assignment was to use triangles and use quilting that is not straight lines.  This should be tons of fun.  Even after a four day class on free motion quilting I still have not got the real hang of it.  

Friday, September 22, 2017


Another month under my belt, well at least 3 of the 6 done.  I am wondering if this goes all the way through the year.  So far unlike my normal block quilt alongs I'm keeping up.  
These look more complicated then they are.  For 5 1/2 inch squares which I think is small they go together easily.  

Tuesday, September 19, 2017


Last year I worked on this fall runner for my sofa table.  Finished it up and stashed it it the closet waiting for fall to come again.  However, it was supposed to have a companion runner for our entertainment center, which I cut out and started the blocks but never got very far on it when I went on to other things.  Now is the time to finish that up.  

The blocks are mostly all cut out and sewn together.  
And construction begins.  It will measure 18 my 72 when done.  I am having to make up a few blocks to finish out those measurements.  It is a pretty straight forward project, although choosing the block combinations is a bit of a thinking process for me.  
Fall is quickly on its way here, we have gone from the 100 plus temperatures to the 80's so I had better get moving on this.